world’s best architecture college UK are in. From ornate classical architecture to modern design, in the UK you will find buildings designed by architects. According to UUKi (Universities UK International), more than 13,000 international students visit the UK to study architecture every year. Let us tell you about UK architecture colleges in detail.
Read also: Masters in Architecture from UK
Why study in UK?
Admission to the UK Architecture College is done by the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) and the Architect Registration Board (ARB). More than 50 universities in the UK are registered with the RIBA. Let us know why to study from UK architecture colleges.
- According to the QS Ranking 2022, 3 UK universities that offer Bachelors/Masters in Architecture are ranked among the top 10 universities in the world.
- One can get 60% higher salary after doing Masters in Architecture from UK than doing Bachelors.
- In the UK, architects get a salary increment of around 12% every 16 months.
What is RIBA?
To qualify as an architect, you have to register with the Royal Institute of British Architecture. Students have to complete 3 parts along with their studies, which are as follows.
- Part 1: You can register as a student member of RIBA. Part 1 can be completed with your Bachelors degree. The time taken to complete the full-time course is 3 to 4 years. It allows you to understand the basics of architecture.
- Part 2: To get Part 2 qualification, Stage 1, 1 year practical experience at workplace is required. Part 2 can be completed with your master’s degree. In this you gain architectural knowledge and project complexity.
- Part 3: To obtain Part 3 qualification, you need 24 months of work experience (Stage 2) to register as an Associate Member of the RIBA. Part 3 is the Advanced Diploma in Professional Practice.
Top Courses for Architecture in UK
The courses available for Architecture in UK are listed below:
- undergraduate degree – BA, BSc., BArch (Bachelor of Architecture)
- post graduate degree– MA, MSc., MArch (Master of Architecture), MLA (Master of Landscape Architecture), MEng (Master of Engineering), MArchD (Applied Design in Architecture)
- doctoral degree– MPhil., Ph.D
Top Colleges for Architecture in UK
Two of the top 10 architecture colleges in the world are in the UK. Let’s take a look at UK architecture colleges and their latest rankings.
University College London
University College London Globally, it is ranked the second best in the world and the best among the top architecture colleges in the UK. It provides students a chance to combine creativity with historical techniques. UCL offers 6 Bachelors degrees in Architecture, Urban Planning, Design and Real Estate for International Students.
Indian students at UCL are required to complete one year of Bachelor’s degree in any recognized Indian University. There is a provision to do Masters in Architecture and Urban Planning for 2 years. UCL is a RIBA recognized university so you do not have to pay RIBA fees separately.
University of Cambridge
One of the UK’s most popular architecture colleges University of Cambridge Is. Cambridge offers 6 postgraduate courses to architecture graduates. For postgraduate courses, you need a UK high honors degree or equivalent. Most of the notable alumni in the Department of Architecture have built their own studios after postgraduation.
Manchester School of Architecture
The Manchester School of Architecture is a collaboration between Manchester Metropolitan University and the University of Manchester. The school has large studios, making it quite easy for students to design large projects. It is a RIBA accredited school, which allows its architect students to explore the work-life while studying.
University of Sheffield
University of Sheffield Ranked 4th in the UK’s Top Architecture Colleges. The University of Sheffield also offers pathway programs to international students. If you are not eligible for this course due to some reasons, you can pursue one more year at International Foundation in Business, Social Science etc. to develop the required skills. After which you can proceed to the degree studies.
Cardiff University The architecture school of the UK is very unique compared to the rest of the architecture colleges in the UK. They offer a combined B.Sc/M.Arch course for 5 years. One-to-one tutorials are provided by the faculty along with lectures. School-funded study visits are planned for all students in the UK or Abroad for the project in the first 2 years. The tuition fee for this unique 5 year course is Rs 21 lakh (GBP 20,388) per annum.
cost of study
To study in UK architecture colleges, you should know about the cost of study for both Bachelors and Masters courses.
In UK architecture colleges, you are being told about some basic qualifications, which are as follows.
- For Bachelor of Architecture course, 10+2 (Science stream) is required with 50% marks.
- On the other hand, if you want to apply for masters, then you must have passed four years bachelor’s degree and for PhD, you must have passed masters in the relevant course.
- Must have minimum 95% marks in English language and related field.
- Most universities abroad for bachelors SAT and for masters courses GRE Ask for scores.
- For admission in foreign universities IELTS either TOEFL Test scores are required as proof of English proficiency.
- to study in foreign universities SOP, LOR, cv/resume And portfolio also need to be deposited.
- some universities GMAT, GRE Asks for scores.
The application process for UK ke architecture colleges is a bit lengthy. From essential documents to digital portfolio, you are advised to apply at least 6 months before the start of the semester. Below you are being told the application process for this.
- The first step in your application process is to choose the right course for which you AI Course Finder You can shortlist your favorite courses with the help of
- After getting in touch with the experts, they will initiate your application process across multiple universities through a common dashboard platform.
- The next step is to have all your documents like SOPEssays, Certificates and LOR and required test scores like IELTS, TOEFL, SAT, ACT To collect and organize etc.
- If you have yet IELTS, TOEFL, PTE, GMAT, GRE If you haven’t prepared for exams etc., which is certainly an important factor in studying abroad, you Leverage Live can attend classes. These classes can prove to be an important factor in getting you a high score in your test.
- After submitting your application and all the required documents, the Experts Accommodation, student visa And will start the application process for scholarship/student loan.
- Now is the time to wait for your offer letter which can take around 4-6 weeks or more. Accepting the offer letter and paying the required semester fee is the last step in your application process.
Some of the required documents are listed below-
Job options and salary after architect course in UK
Following are the job options and salary details after architect course in UK:
|job profile||Annual Average Salary (GBP)|
|architect||15,000-20,000 ( INR 15-20 Lakh )|
|architectural designer||22,000-25,000 ( INR 20-25 Lakh )|
|architectural intern||16,000-20,000 ( INR 15-20 Lakh )|
|architectural project manager||21,000-25,000 ( INR 21-25 Lakh )|
|landscape architect||21,000-25,000 ( INR 21-25 Lakh )|
|architectural technician||17,000-35,000 ( INR 17-35 Lakh )|
|interior designer||21,000-38,000 ( INR 21-40 Lakh )|
|senior project architect||34,000-50,000 ( INR 34-50 Lakh )|
You are also provided with scholarships in UK architecture colleges, which gives you some financial help in pursuing your course. Here below you are being told about the top 5 scholarships including their amount.
|University||Scholarship||Scholarship Amount (GBP/INR)|
|University of Edinburgh||ECA Ph.D. Scholarship||16,000 (Rs. 16,48,000)|
|Oxford Brookes University||Hodgkinson Scholarship||15,500 (Rs 15,96,500)|
|University of Strathclyde||Ph.D. in Architecture Studentship||13,836 (Rs 14,25,108)|
|Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA)||Royal Institutes of British Architects (RIBA) Wren Insurance Association Scholarships||6,000 (Rs. 6,18,000)|
|Cardiff University||Vice Chancellor’s International Scholarship||2,000 (Rs. 2,06,000)|
You can study architecture from these top universities.
1. Cambridge University
2. University College London
3. Cardiff University
4. University of Bath
5.University of Sheffield
6. Queen’s University Belfast
7. University for the Creative Arts
8. University of Liverpool
BArch in the UK is of 3 years.
The annual course fees for top universities offering Masters of Architecture in the UK range from GBP 21,950 (Rs 22,60,850) to GBP 47,000 (48,41,000). For Indian students, it is around Rs 21,00,000 to 45,00,000 annually.
The average salary of an architect is £40,000 (Rs 41-45 lakh) annually.
Hope you have got all the important information about UK Architecture Colleges from this blog. If you want to study in UK then visit our website. Leverage Edu Book a free session today by contacting our experts on 1800 572 000.