Lakehead Technical University was started to meet the need for higher education in Ontario. It was established in the year 1946 by an Order-in-Council of the Province of Ontario. Lakehead College of Arts, Science and Technology was established in 1956 by an Act of the Ontario Legislature. later this institution Lakehead University When the Lakehead University Act came into force in the year 1965. Norman McLeod was the first chancellor of Paterson University. Lakehead is one of the few premier and prestigious universities in Canada. Let us know in detail about Lakehead University Major Courses, Acceptance Rate, Fees and many more in this blog.
|fees||undergraduate: CAD 8.53 K – CAD 17.54 K (₹ 5.04 Lakh to ₹ 10.37 Lakh)
post graduate: CAD 15.92 K- CAD 21.56 K (₹ 9.41 Lakh to ₹ 12.74 Lakh)
|UG: PG Course Ratio||0.50|
Why choose Lakehead University?
Some of the points of choosing Lakehead University are mentioned below-
- Program: The university offers 57 Bachelors and 30 Masters and Doctoral programs through nine faculties which include the Faculty of Education, Business Administration, Engineering, Health and Behavioral Sciences, Medicine and Graduate Studies, Science and Environmental Studies, Natural Resource Management and Science and Humanities Huh. The largest department is Social Sciences and Humanities in which more than 30% of the students get admission in the undergraduate program.
- Student Acceptance: Lakehead University enrolls over 6000 individuals, with international students coming from over 100 countries around the world.
- Cost of Attendance: For an international student, the average cost of studying at Lakehead University is around 28,000-37,000 CAD (~ 16.4-21.7 Lakh INR).
- Scholarships: The university offers some award-based scholarships to international students and offers up to CAD 20,000 (INR 11.91 Lakh).
- Placement: Lakehead University holds the record for placing 100% of its students within 6 months of graduation. The average salary of Lakehead University graduates is 100,000 CAD (INR 59.60 Lakh) per annum.
Lakehead University Ranking
|Times Higher Education Impact Rankings 2021||#801-1000|
|US News & World Report, Top Global Universities 2022||#1279|
|ARWU (Shanghai Ranking) 2021||#901-1000|
Acceptance Rate at Lakehead University
Lakehead University has an acceptance rate of 83% for Bachelors and Masters courses. Lakehead University is one of the best educational institutions not only in Canada but also in the world. Students from over 100 countries study at the university, representing a diverse range of cultures and backgrounds.
Application Deadline at Lakehead University
Some of the important dates regarding admission in Lakehead University are given below-
Lakehead University’s Top Courses
Some of the top Lakehead University courses and their annual tuition fees are listed below-
You AI Course Finder With the help of which you can choose the courses of your choice.
Lakehead University Fees
The tuition fees for Lakehead University are as follows–
|program||Average Annual Tuition Fee (in CAD)|
|undergraduate||CAD 16,000 to CAD 22,000 (₹10 Lakh to ₹13.17 Lakh)|
|post graduate||CAD 16,000 to CAD 22,000 (₹10 Lakh to ₹13.17 Lakh)|
cost of living
The cost of living in Canada per year in CAD is given below-
|Residence||On Campus: CAD 9,289.06 to 12,945.06 (₹5.51 Lakh to ₹7.67 Lakh) + Meal Plan
Off Campus: CAD 12,000 -21,600 (₹7.11 Lakh to ₹12.81 Lakh) for 12 months rent
|books and supplies||CAD 1,400-8,000 (₹83K to ₹4.74L) depending on the program of study|
|eat||CAD 4,384 to 5,949 (₹2.60 Lakh to ₹3.52 Lakh)|
|personal expenses||CAD 3,200-CAD 5,600 (₹1.89 Lakh to ₹3.32 Lakh)|
To easily find out more about the cost of living abroad according to your lifestyle Cost of Living Calculator use.
Lakehead University Admission Eligibility
Here are some common qualifications for admission to Lakehead University:
Eligibility for Bachelor’s Degree Course
- For Bachelor’s degree course, it is necessary that the applicant must have secured first class (60-80%) marks in 12th.
- If the original transcripts are not in English, the student must also provide an official translation.
- English Proficiency Test for any course like PTE, Duolingo, TOEFL, IELTSCAEL, MELAB, CanTest etc. scores are required.
Eligibility for Master’s degree course
- For master’s degree course, all the applicants must have a bachelor’s degree from a recognized university. Bachelor’s degree must have a first or upper second class (2.1) or at least 3 (or international equivalent) GPA points.
- For these postgraduate courses GMAT either GRE Score is required.
- If the original transcripts are not in English, an official translation must also be provided.
- English Proficiency Test for any course like PTE, Duolingo, TOEFL, IELTS etc. scores are important.
required test scores
|CANTest||4.5 (Listening and Reading)
Application Process for Lakehead University
The application process for Lakehead University is given below –
- The first step in your application process is choosing the right course.
- After selecting the course and university, research about the eligibility criteria of that university for that course.
- Collect the required test scores and documents.
- Register by visiting the official site of the university and fill the application form or you Leverage Edu You can also take the help of experts.
- Wait for the offer and prepare for the interview if selected.
- After clearing the interview round pay the required tuition fee and apply for scholarship, student visa, education loan And apply for hostel.
Some of the important documents are listed below-
Scholarship Schemes at Lakehead University
There are many scholarship programs available at Lakehead University that provide financial aid to needy and deserving students. Some of the top scholarship programs of Lakehead University are listed below-
|scholarship||Total Amount (in CAD)|
|Chancellor Scholarship||30,000 (Rs 17.66 lakh)|
|President’s Scholarship||20,000 (Rs 11.77 lakh)|
|Dean’s Scholarship||10,000 (Rs 6 lakh?)|
|Fitzgerald Scholarship||20,000 (Rs 11.77 lakh)|
|Schwartz Scholarship||14,000 (Rs 8.24 lakh)|
|Wm reed scholarship||11,500 (Rs 6.80 Lakh)|
|Orpha Thayer-Scott Scholarship||10,000 (Rs 6 lakh)|
work study program
Along with obtaining an off-campus work permit from CIC, international students with a work permit can work up to 20 hours on a weekly basis. The following requirements are to be met by current students in order to be eligible for the Off-Campus Work Permit:
- valid study permit
- Must have been a full time student for the 6 months prior to the date of your work permit application.
- Undergraduate and graduate require a GPA of at least 2.0 and 3.0, respectively.
Placement at Lakehead University
Some important facts related to placement in Lakehead University are given below-
- At Lakehead University, 88% of MBA graduates are employed within three months of graduation.
- 100% MBA graduates have secured a job within six months of graduation.
- Free practical workshops covering networking skills and personal branding, taught by the University.
- 67 percent of MBA graduates at Lakehead University land a job within a month of graduation.
- According to QS Top MBA, MBA graduates at Lakehead University earn approximately 60,000 to 140,000 CAD per year. In the technology field, students earn around CAD 64,350-180,000 per year.
Notable alumni of Lakehead University
The university has a family of 45,000 alumni who have made a name for themselves and earned fame through their work and achievements. The Alumni Association also supports and manages the Lakehead Giving Funding Platform. Some notable alumni of the university are-
- Stephen Lo (filmmaker and director of IMAX)
- Mason Ainsworth (City Councilman of Orillia)
- John Cameron (well-known Australian coach and swimmer)
- Steve Ashton (Minister of Water Management/MLA Thompson, Government of Manitoba)
- Ronald J. Duhamel (Former Member of Parliament, Senator)
- Jim Folds (Canadian politician)
- Bruce Hire (Member of Parliament, Thunder Bay Superior North)
- Lynn MacLeod (Canadian politician, former cabinet minister)
- Diane Schomperlen (Governor General’s Award, winning novelist)
- Don Talbot (Australian swimming coach)
Lakehead University is, once again, among the top 10 primarily graduate universities in Canada in the 2022 Maclean University Rankings. Lakehead ranks No. 2 among Ontario universities in its category.
Lakehead is home to over 1,500 international students representing over 70 countries around the world. Which proves that it is a good university for international students. Lakehead University was ranked in the top 5% of the world in the 2022 Times Higher Education Impact Rankings.
Lakehead University Thunder Bay in Canada accepts students from diverse backgrounds and all geographies. The acceptance rate at Lakehead University Thunder Bay is 83%.
Lakehead University’s computer science department is one of the top computer science programs in Canada, according to Maclean’s 2021 post-secondary assessment rankings.
If you also want to study at Lakehead University, a prestigious university in Canada, call us today on 1800 572 000 Leverage Edu Book a free 30 minute session with an expert from They will provide you a proper guidance as well as assist you with the application process till obtaining the visa.